Thursday, April 28, 2011

Connections between me and my book

I don't think I can relate much to anyone in the book Romeo and Juliet, but I think I am a little bit like Benvolio, who likes to give advice to friends and tries to make them feel better. Benvolio would do anything to help Romeo with his problems, Even taking him to a party where only Capulets are allowed, ignoring the feud between the families. After reading scene 4 (I hope that counts as part of the first few scenes) I realized that Romeo's intrusion to the party might have escalated the feud between the Capulets and the Montagues.
The language of Shakespeare is actually easy to understand with the help of the footnotes, which are definitely a HUGE help. However, there are lots of jokes and allusions I don't really understand. This is where the reading in class helps. I guess since I'm kind of getting used to Shakespeare's language when I'm reading on my own its easier now. I'm so glad we aren't assigned huge portions of the book to read at home every night like when we were reading Great Expectations. (or maybe it was because that book wasn't very exciting) The first scene took my forever to get through because I had to constantly refer to the footnotes. I still don't think that reading in class helps that much though.

No comments:

Post a Comment