Thursday, March 3, 2011

link by link...

"Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

Pip is probably referring to how his first day at Miss Havisham's house is also the first day he met Estella and Miss Havisham. It is also the first day he ever made such a big lie. These lies eventually lead to a chain of events that really changed his life. In the chapters following this quote Pip's character changes mostly negatively. For example, he changes his mind about wanting to be a blacksmith. Also, he worries a lot; for his convict's friend, Estella discovering him, and the pale young gentleman taking revenge on him.
I think a memorable day that started my "chain" was when my mom didn't let me try orchestra in fourth grade, wanting me to join band the year after that instead. I remember not being so happy about that. Everyone else got to join orchestra! And the violin looked sooooooooo pretty! But it was a good thing that I joined band in the end, because I wouldn't have learned so much from Mr. Allison and made the friends I did there. My life would probably be very different without my friends from band (and my arms a lot weaker without having to carry a heavy box to and from school!)

1 comment:

  1. That's weird. The dotted-ish line under the title is actually the quote at the end of chapter nine, but its super small for some reason.

    ReplyDelete