Thursday, November 18, 2010

Something Interesting About Lobsters

When I read the poem "lobsters" for the first time the meaning of the last line had seemed obious: people are like lobsters (in a way). "...the flame that boils the water..." I just could not figure out what the flame and what the water is. When we had our discussion about the poem and this particular line was mentioned, I heard other thoughts and opinions that had never ocurred to me before. For humans, the water is what surrounds us, and what surounds us will eventually be what kills us.
I think that the water and flame in the last line of the poem are very symbolic. The water is something we take for granted and can't survive without. Then one day something unknown will turn it into our death.

No comments:

Post a Comment